At Entercom, we believe in the power of 1THING. If everyone would do one thing to improve the environment every day, our world would be a better place for generations to come. We are making a difference all across our markets one thing at a time:
- With the focus of sustainability and the desire to improve health, Entercom Indianapolis “Took to The Stairs.” Employees committed to conserving electricity and energy by taking the stairs to the third-floor radio station each day rather than the elevator. FitBit watches were worn by all employees to record the number of flights they climbed. Incentives were awarded and friendly competition ensued as the group stepped their way to better health AND a better environment.
- Also with the desire to improve health, Entercom Wilkes-Barre/Scranton started an employee garden, growing crops throughout the summer and early fall. The garden was filled with a variety of vegetables grown using coffee grounds as the only fertilizer. The garden caught the eye of many — A photo of two Froggy 101 morning show hosts holding one of the zucchinis grown was featured as the weather pointer on a local TV station’s morning weather segment.
- On the west coast, Entercom San Francisco held monthly “green outs” on the last Tuesday of each month. They challenged employees to work by natural light to save electricity and energy. Many employees now prefer to work by natural light. In addition, they challenged other building tenants to do the same. The building manager helped to spread the word by sharing this initiative with the other tenants.
Other markets partnered with local organizations to make a difference in their communities:
- Entercom Norfolk partnered with the Chesapeake Bay Foundation to create an employee Clean the Bay Day. Nearly 40 employees traveled to Sarah Constant Beach in Norfolk, VA during the one day event. More than 125 pounds of trash were collected along the beach, picnic areas and parking lots. The Chesapeake Bay Foundation is the largest independent conservation organization dedicated solely to saving the bay. They fight for effective science-based solutions to the pollution degrading the Chesapeake Bay, its river and streams. For more information about the Chesapeake Bay Foundation, visit their website: cbf.org/
- Entercom Austin partnered with the Lady Bird Johnson Wildflower Center. The Wildflower Center conducts innovative native plant research, develops comprehensive educational materials and consults on landscape development projects of all sizes to capitalize on the ability of native landscapes to improve communities. More information about the Lady Bug Wildlife Center can be found here: https://www.wildflower.org/.
- Entercom New Orleans has decided to partner with Bike Easy and volunteer at their events throughout the year. Bike Easy’s mission is to make bicycle riding in New Orleans easy, fun and safe. More information about Bike Easy can be found on their website http://bikeeasy.org/.
- Entercom Portland partners with and now features environmental groups through their local 30-minute public affairs program, Metroscope. Recent featured guests have included EarthShare beneficiary Willamette Riverkeeper. In addition, all of their stations no longer print paper logs, but rather have them available on a central server for viewing on-screen. They’re working on an electric vehicle charging station for employees and listeners to use. It is in the beginning stages, but looks promising!
- Entercom Denver Account Executive Aaron Davis created a partnership with SOLAR USA for two solar cellphone charging stations. These charging stations will be used at concert events such as KALC’s Live at 5 and KQMT’s Hudson Garden concert series during the summer. Listeners will be able to charge their phone with no electricity!
Entercom is an industry leader in sustainability and environmental protection, and a role model for corporate citizenship. Through our 1THING initiative, Entercom is committed to promoting good environmental practices both internally with employees, as well as externally with our listeners and business partners.